» Brazil had been inhabited for at least 10,000 years by semi-nomadic populations when the first Portuguese explorers, led by Pedro Alvares Cabral disembarked in 1500. Brazil is characterized by the extensive low-lying Amazon Rainforest in the north, and a more open terrain of hills and (low) mountains to the south, home to most of Brazil's population and its agricultural base. Along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean are also found several mountain ranges, which can reach roughly 2,900m high. However, the highest peak is the Pico da Neblina at 3,014 m highlands. Major rivers include the Amazon, the largest river in the world by volume, and considered by many specialists also the longest of the world.
Offical Language: Portuguese
Area: 8,547,403 SQ KM
Calling Code: 55
» The main ethnic group in Brazil is the Portuguese, who colonized the country after 1500. Until independence in 1822, the Portuguese were the only European nation that successfully settled in Brazil, and most of Brazil's culture is based on that of Portugal. The Dutch and the French also colonized Brazil during the 17th century, but their presence lasted only a few decades. Brazil has a large black population, descended from African slaves brought to the country from the 16th century until the 19th century. The African population in Brazil has mixed substantially with the Portuguese, causing a large mixed-race population. Brazil's population is mostly concentrated along the coast, with a lower population density in the interior. The population of the southern states is mainly of European descent, while the majority of the inhabitants of the north and north east are of mixed ancestry
» Portuguese is the official language and spoken by the entire population. Brazil is the only Portuguese-speaking nation in the Americas, giving it a distinct national culture separate from its Spanish-speaking neighbors. The language spoken in Brazil is quite different from the one spoken in Portugal and other Portuguese-speaking countries. Brazilian Portuguese is more archaic than European Portuguese and has some phonological and ortographical difference, although mutual comprehension is not affected. About 74% of all Brazilians claim to be members of the Roman Catholic Church; most of the remaining 26% adhere to various Protestant faiths, Kardecism, Candomble, Umbanda, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism.
Brazil is the country with the largest Catholic population in the world.
» Both Brazil and the United States are large countries whose population was formed by multiple immigration sources from many countries, each one bringing its own culture. But although the Americans pride themselves of the diversity of multiple cultures and their peaceful coexistence, Brazilian idea of culture is a one mixed unity, formed of multiple ingredients, but one meal. While the ideal image of the average American is the idea of a protestant white, living next to an African American, or a Jew, the tipic Brazilian is multi ethinical. Strong influences on the music of Brazil come from all parts of the world but there's a regional music very popular with influence from Africa, Europe, the natives of the Amazon rainforest and of other parts of the country. Samba is undoubtedly the most internationally famous form of Brazilian music, though bossa nova and other genres have also received international attention.
» Culture of Brazil: The culture of Brazil is of a very diverse nature. The religion of most Brazilians is Roman Catholic. Many other beliefs over time have been incorporated into the Brazilian catholic belief system such as Spiritism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Ayahuasca, and Judaism. Many Catholics do not view Protestants as Christians and the vice-versa is also true. A majority of the population are non practicing Catholics and would actually be considered agnostics in many circles.